[wisb] Angry Fedwing

  • From: "Peter McKeever" <petermckeever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 09:26:14 -0500

Saw some bird behavior this morning that I'd not seen before, and which
surprised me. Near Nine Springs E-Way, in the middle of a freshly planted
corn field, I watched a male redwing blackbird, vigorously attack a solitary
sandhill crane several times, flying at the crane and appearing to actually
hit it in the tail feathers.  Crane would turn its head to fend off the
attack, but did not seem otherwise bothered. Seems unlikely to me that the
blackbird was protecting a nest in this location.

Peter McKeever

Monona