[wisb] Anderson sod farm this a.m.

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:01:11 -0700 (PDT)

   G'day, folks.  The 2nd weekly try at the sod farm proved ---failure !
Nothing as far as fall shorebirds are possible.  Just a bunch of horned larks,
killdeer, cranes and barn and cliff swallows, just like last Friday. The only
thing new this week was an somewhat unexpected sedge wren calling from the
north side of the road. Saw the bird after pishing.  No Heckrodt today as I was
hoping to go to, due to all the construction of inner Neenah.  But my other
stops, as like last Friday, Shady Lane was good as I got my FOF  Black and
White warbler, gnatcatcher and a perched fall bobolink with song sparrows. The
thing looked like a field sparrow on steroids.  Nice tawny color, with eye
stripe and still calling it's finchlike note.  I called to a perched redtail
hawk,  it looked around, called itself, then took off.  The last visit was at
what I call Brewster's woods, which is right next to Brewster Village, which is
right next to the
 tech.  Beautiful woods, this place.  Not much in it though.  Just a few common
warblers, red-eyed vireos, Swainson's thrushes and bluebirds along the edge.
Daryl, does this woods have a name, by chance, or did I take a correct shot in
the dark? It's got a real nice paved pathway through it, short, though it may
be, along with a stone bridge over a shallow flowing creek, just perfect for
the waterthrush I had last week.  Well so much today, good luck birding,
     Paul Bruce, Oshkosh
     Winnebago Co.