[wisb] American Bittern, Nelson's Sparrow, etc. Town of Lebanon, Dodge County

  • From: "Eileen Worman" <eileenworman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:52:01 -0500

Last night before sunset as I was scanning our ponds through bins I managed to
spot what I thought was an American Bittern, backlit by the sunlight. I got the
scope out to be absolutely sure of my find and it was definitely an American
Bittern, seen for the first time on our property. I was glad my husband was
home to see this bird with me, as earlier this summer he spent a lot of time on
Dike Rd. being frustrated listening to one, but never spotting it. I guess the
key is to be hundreds of yards and uphill from the darn bird! Mostly it stood
still, but at one point I saw it shuffle its feet, pushing them one at a time
along the top of the water. It briefly made its funky call then, too. I stayed
out till it was too dark to see any more, and hoped it would be out there this
morning, but it must have left.
Two days ago as I was looking at a bunch of perched Barn Swallows in the
cattails along that same pond, I noticed a new-to-me bird moving around behind
them, which turned out to be my first sighting of a Nelson's Sparrow. There
have been so many times that I was looking at one bird and ended up finding
something else, which is exciting to me, anyway.
We still have a couple of Baltimore Orioles here, a full two weeks later than
last year's final sighting. We're enjoying visits from Palm Warblers each day
and we've seen more Great Egrets this year than ever before.
Eileen Worman Town of Lebanon, Dodge County