[wisb] Re: Alert: possible Western grebe on Lake Mendota

  • From: Mary Hampton <willowflycatcher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jjprestby@xxxxxxx" <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>, "prvangin@xxxxxxxx" <prvangin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 12:59:38 +0000 (UTC)

Western Grebe, Sat., July 25, 6AM.  With black cap that extends **over** eye,
then over head and down long neck.  Close to shore, just west of Limnology
pier.  I've posted photos on Wisc Birding Facebook.  Thanks!!!  Paul van
Ginkel.  Thanks Tom Prestby for reminding me to check a field guide for
Clark's difference.  Nice FOY.  Mary Hampton

On Friday, July 24, 2015 9:23 PM, Tom Prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Paul,

You say the face was very white and the bill very yellow-- did you consider
Clarks? Could you tell if the black covered or got close to covering the eye?
We're long overdue for a confirmed Clarks.

Tom Prestby
Green Bay

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 24, 2015, at 9:15 PM, Paul van ginkel <prvangin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

At about 7PM behind Limnology (just west of where the sailing boats are
stored) a large grebe was actively diving. It had a large yellow bill and red
eye with black on top of the head going into the neck. The back was grayish
black with whitish specks on it. The face and front/side of the neck where
very white.
Unfortunately I did not have binoculars although it started out being pretty
close before the end of the pier but then started swimming further out. Since
I have never seen a Western Grebe before, I hope it will stick around for
others to confirm identification. I did not look like a red necked grebe in
winter plumage and it seemed much larger than eared or horned grebes.

Paul van Ginkel
Madison