[wisb] Alert: Eurasian Collared Doves - La Crosse County

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WisBirdN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:34:27 -0500

I found a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves in La Crosse County this
morning.  As far as I know, this represents the first time that this
species has been found in La Crosse County.  I have been looking for
them and thought I might have seen one a couple of years ago but that
bird disappeared by the time I turned my car around.....

Today's birds were located on Brice Prairie northwest of La Crosse.
They were located in a residential area off of County Z.

I first spotted a bird that flew in front of my car as I headed south.
I saw a large dove with a big, square tail fly across the road and then
land on a wire.  I turned around and  went back only to find that the
bird had disappeared.  I looped around the block and spotted a pair near
the top of a small tree.  I checked again at 1:00 and found a singing
male.

When perched, the birds were seen on both sides of Elm Street, one block
west of County Z.  When first seen, the bird flew across County Z one
block north of the intersection of CTH Z and Elm St.  It came from the
east side of CTH Z and headed to the west side.

Other new arrivals in the past few days in this area include:

Chipping Sparrow (same neighborhood)

Eastern Towhee (Chaseburg, Vernon County)

Lesser Yellowlegs (CTH Z / ZN just south of EC Dove location)

Greater Yellowlegs (same)

Brewer's Blackbird (same)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Chaseburg and Lytle's landing on Brice Prairie)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Chaseburg)

Other notable sightings:

100+ Bonaparte's Gulls in flooded fields along ZN and XX on Brice
Prairie)

100+ Wilson's Snipe (same fields)

2 American Woodcock performing at my home in Chaseburg on 4/11

Others have reported a Brown Thrasher and a Scarlet Tanager in the La
Crosse area.

Common Green Darner and Variegated Meadowhawk dragonflies.

Good Birding,

Dan Jackson

Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin (Near La Crosse)

www.pbase.com/dejackson

community.webshots.com/user/DanielEJackson