[wisb] Adams County kite

  • From: "K Petersen" <loonp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WISBIRDN'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:37:38 -0500

Hi all –

As Peter F. indicated in his forward earlier today, we were able to view the
White-tailed Kite in Adams County, but I thought I would also send out a
summary due to the confusion in trying to report in “real time” this
morning.

We have a cottage in Marquette County so are only about an hour away from
the kite sightings. We were up there two weeks ago and cruised the area for
about 3 hours but came up empty. But when we saw the Saturday postings for
the kite being present we decided to give it another go, and we were not
disappointed. Within ten minutes of getting to the County D area I was able
to spot, naked eye, a white dot against the dark tree-line color behind it.
Both bins and the scope verified that it was indeed the kite. I believe it
was on the same branch that Nolan mentioned – what looks like a dead tree
limb laying in the “pasture” with about three separate small limbs sticking
up about 8’, which is out in the field about ¼ mile south of Cty D. I was a
bit surprised as it looked a bit larger and chunkier than I had expected –
do not know if the cold raw weather had anything to do with that or not.

To be a bit more precise, the spot on County D where we were parked is ¼
mile east of 6th Ave. There is a 4’ high 4”x4” yellow plastic post right by
the fence line with the initials R/W on it. The dead limb is about ¼ mile
out in the field and slightly to the west. We also found a field driveway on
6th Ave about ¼ mile south of County D that gave a slightly closer look.

We briefly cruised Apache Rd and Archer Rd hoping to see some prairie
chickens but to no avail. We did one more pass on County D and the kite was
still on the same branch. It basically sat there for the approximate hour
that we were in the area.

Beautiful bird – thanks to everyone for all the postings – lifer for me.

Kurt and Kathy Petersen

Sheboygan County