[wisb] Adams County Kite

  • From: "K Petersen" <loonp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WISBIRDN'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:34:54 -0500

Hi all -

This is a bit of a follow-up to Mike Wanger's post of yesterday concerning
the white-tailed kite in Adams County. As mentioned, on Tuesday he, I, and
Dan from Iowa teamed up cell-phone wise to improve our chances of spotting
the kite but to no avail. My wife Kathy and I drove the area from about 1-4
p.m. I did have a couple moments of excitement when on two occasions a male
northern harrier cruised through.

I was however quite impressed with the number of sandhill cranes in the
area. I believe some fields had hundreds present, and the area in total
probably had thousands. One flock included three adult whooping cranes -
neat. Would these birds be "natural" ones or part of the reintroduction
breeding program in Wisconsin? Are whooping cranes listed as an official
Wisconsin bird yet or do we need more successful nesting for that to happen?
The last "species addition" list I have for Wisconsin was an email to the
Wisconsin Bird Network from Sam Robbins in January of 2000. Have any changes
been made since then? Is there a web site somewhere that would list that?

I have a few other questions concerning the Adams County area -

1.       Has anyone seen greater prairie chickens on their kite quests?
There were numerous "Prairie Chicken Management Area" signs in the area.

2.       Does the kite favor the bare trees for perching, or is it also
using those that are still leafed out?

3.       Off topic just a tad, does anyone know anything about Owens Rock?
This is an outcropping of rock sort of out in the middle of nowhere - on the
west side of Cty W and just north of Apache Ave. I have been unable to find
any info of note on the internet. It is a very noticeable formation of rock,
surrounded by flat fields, and just seems somewhat of an anomaly.

If anyone visits the Adams County area for the kite would you please post
your activity, regardless of sightings.

Thanks.

Kurt Petersen

Sheboygan County