[wisb] A little birding in Manitoba and FDL

  • From: JOEY REICHHOFF <jreichhoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:38:31 -0500

Hello fellow birders,
I've had some excitement the last couple weeks.  The wife and I took a
trip up to Winnipeg for a week to visit her family.  Although it's a
big city, I managed to get away a couple times and get a few birds.
It was mostly a "second chance" at many of the warblers I may have
missed down here.  I did however, pick up 4 lifers during my week up
there: Western Grebe, Gray Jay, Franklin's Gull, and Western
Meadowlark.  Although not lifers, I also got Ruffed Grouse,
Black-Billed Magpie, and Raven.
Not too much excitement since I've been back though.  In the last
week, the highlights have been seeing a Canvasback on the south side
of Hwy 49 in the Horicon Marsh yesterday, (Is this common in
mid-June?) Having a Common Moorhen come within 20 feet of me while
sitting near some cattails, (they are really amazing birds)  and
birding with Terry Leasa this afternoon.  (We got to see a singing
Henslow's Sparrow and Terry found a Mourning Warbler for me...another
lifer!)  All in all, pretty good last couple weeks.

-Joey Reichhoff-
Fond du Lac