[wisb] A few tidbits...

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:57:27 -0500

While we're all here sulking over the miserable Spring, I thought I would let
you in on what we had for temps. and weather last April.  I have been keeping
daily high/low temps. and precip. and whatever else noteworthy happened for the
day since 1995.  First off, April 22nd of 2010, the high was 58, low 34.  The
23rd was 64/33 (and also a Friday) and the start of a weekend storm that dumped
3.4" rain.  BTW, the first 15 days of April last year comprised the WARMEST
first half of April on record.  That being said, I had my FOY northern
waterthrush today at Pike Lake.  Since 1992, the second earliest bested only by
April 16th of 2004.   I can't make any sense of this except to say these birds
are programmed to depart the tropics and must put up with whatever conditions
befall them upon arrival.  Looking at the radar the last few nights, I can't
see how that bird snuck through fronts draped from west to east just south of
WI.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################