[wisb] 9 Springs, Dane Cty and Harvey Rd, Columbia Cty

  • From: Edward Keyel <dolichovespula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 20:29:02 -0500

Hi all,

I had time to stop by 9 Springs this afternoon.  Nice looks at an
Osprey, Northern Pintail, and Semipalmated Plovers.  Other highlights
include: Short-billed Dowitcher, Stilt Sandpiper and Wilson's
Phalarope.  I had an interesting goose, either Greater White-fronted
or Greylag.  Any information distinguishing the two would be greatly
appreciated.  There was also an interesting Least Sandpiper.  It had a
little black spot/band in the breast (right at the end of the buffy
streaking).  When I first saw it, I thought it was a Dunlin molting
into breeding plumage, but the black was too high, and the rest of the
bird didn't fit for Dunlin.

Harvey Road this evening was spectacular!  I had 15 species of
shorebirds, which were stunning in the sun.  Species include:  Both
Dowitchers; Stilt, Spotted, Pectoral, Baird's, White-rumped,
Semipalmated, and Least Sandpipers, Dunlin, Wilson's Phalarope, both
Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Semipalmated Plover.  Some of the views were
unbelievable, with the dowitchers and Stilt Sandpiper in one field of
view, as well as Baird's, White-rumped, and Pectoral in another.  Just
really nice for comparison.

I headed over to Goose Pond quickly, but the sun went behind the
clouds and it was very quiet.  I did have the fortune to come across
Laura Erickson, and we returned to Harvey Rd (now much darker) and
refound everything but the Baird's and White-rumpeds.

Good birding!
-Ted Keyel
Sun Prairie,
Dane Cty