[wisb] 5 bluebirds fledged this morning

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:34:23 -0500

I am happy to report that all 5 of the bluebird chicks from my backyard
birdhouse fledged this morning at around 8:00.  My husband and I watched them
fly out one by one.  This is a real coup for us (and for them!) since house
wrens usually end up claiming that birdhouse.  It is only because the adult
bluebirds got such an early start on nesting that they were able to fledge
young before the arrival of the wrens.

Our other concern this year was a male house sparrow who had enticed a female
sparrow to our front yard birdhouse.  We did not want to anger the sparrows by
removing their nest until the bluebird chicks had successfully fledged, fearing
retaliation on the bluebird family.  Luckily, the male sparrow had not held
onto his mate for some reason and there were never any sparrow eggs.  I yanked
that nest this morning.

Bluebirds 5.  House sparrows 0.  Mission accomplished!

Mary Strasser in Onalaska

La Crosse County