[wisb] 46 White Pelicans at the Mead SWA

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:09:37 +0000 (UTC)

I went down to the Mead State Wildlife Area this morning to see what county
years birds I could find. I birded around the pump house area at first, walking
about a mile to the west to look for Le Conte's Sparrow, but found none. On the
walk out to the sparrow spot, I had a nice number of American Bitterns flying
around. I estimated I had at least 8 different birds, with four bitterns in the
air at one time.

After I returned back to the pump house, I took the path north of here to
checkout a cattail marsh (another 1/2 mile one way walk). In this marsh I heard
several Marsh Wrens and two calling Least Bitterns. After searching the marsh
edge, I located one of the Least Bitterns in my scope and had a great view of
it.

After birding the pump house area, I went over to the Rice Lake flowage. As
soon as I had a view of the drawn down lake, I could see many big white birds
in the shallow water areas of the lake that I knew right away were pelicans. I
counted 46 pelicans in all, which is the most I've ever had in a single group
for my home county. As for the mudflats here, nothing but Killdeer was the only
shorebird present.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI