[wisb] 200 White-fronted Geese

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:40:35 -0500

I spent the morning birding Dodge co at Horicon Marsh (Hwy 49) and then to the
north and south of Beaver Dam.  Horicon had 2 Trumpeter Swans, lots of Canada
Geese, and about 10 White-fronted Geese, 6 Rough-legged Hawks and 2 Harriers,
plus of course Redwings.  The Jersey pond had a variety of ducks, some actual
open water (a little), plus White-fronted and Canada Geese.  2 Killdeer were
also in the area (FOY).  The area south of Beaver Dam (Cty G, J and side roads
had more White-fronted, an E. Meadowlark (FOY), Grackle (FOY) and quite a few
Canada Geese.  Oddly there were no Cackling or white geese seen.  All total for
these areas there were about 200 Gr. White-fronted Geese.  Crossing the Fox
River in Appleton I had my FOY Turkey Vulture.
It is curious that there are very few white geese appearing in the state so far
this spring, or what we are calling spring this year!  Perhaps they are taking
a more westerly path as there is real spring in the prairie states currently.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI