[wisb] 2 VERY important notes, Oshkosh

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 23:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

Well,  1 at least.  Good late evening my night-owl friends.    I was amazed to
hear not one but 2 unexpected calls from the post-storm calmness. First of all,
hearing an all-too-familiar prprprprp,  THAT called only once but quite clearly
overhead, an Upland Sandpiper !!!! Then maybe 10  to 15 minutes later,
 kkkkkup-up-up,  YB cuckoo, which MAJORLY coincides with a sighting of a cuckoo
near Congress and Algoma Streets, much earlier today. Surprised me to the max.
 But the premise of this post is to cover the scare I/we  had, involving the
heat and the Peregrines.  Who got to see the Oshkosh web-cam?  For those who
did, were you worried as I was?  The chick in the corner looked heat-stricken,
and rather, uhhh, dead (?)  But thanks to a reply, Greg, who I wish to publicly
thank, for informing me that Peregrine chicks will lay still during intense
heat, did "come back to life" after a while.  I could only breathe a sigh of
relief..  'Tis
 late, so I'm signing off,good birding,
     Paul Bruce,  Winnebago Co.