[wisb] 2 Red-throated Loons

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:52:17 -0600

I checked out Sheboygan early this morning.  After a little watching
the Red-throated Loon was found off North Pt.  It remained visible
for at least 15 minutes, often preening and flapping its wings.  The
Harlequin Duck was off the parking lot and the Barrow's Goldeneye was
in the harbor.  In both cases with more open water both were harder
to located, especially the Barrow's.  A Thayer's Gull was by the
parking lot and the usual good number of Glaucous and Great Black-
backed Gulls.
At the Lake Church feeders a Song Sparrow was at the gray house.  No
Harris's Sparrow was seen but I spent a short amount of time there.

At Port Washington another Red-throated Loon was watched actively
feeding off the north breakwall.  Also present was Glaucous, Great
Black-backed and one first year Lesser Black-backed Gull.  The
Kittiwake appeared overhead as I was walking out to the harbor.  It
later was seen off the north breakwall with other gulls, flying and
swimming.  Ducks were scarce in the harbor with only a Canvasback and
about 15 Ruddy Ducks seen, besides the standard ducks.

On the way back north I stopped at the end of Cty D (Harrington Beach
SP).  A Surf Scoter (female) was seen with numerous scaup and
goldeneyes.  Finally a scoter this winter;  they are remarkably
scarce this year.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI