[wisb] 1st of Year- Tropical Kingbird

  • From: "Bob and Carol Mead" <rmead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:31:55 -0600

Hello:
Over  New Year I was fortunate enough to spend time with my family in Puerto
Vallarta, Mexico.
I was able to get away for a half day of birding by hiring a local bilingual
bird guide.
He picked me up at my hotel and took me to a place a dirt road in the Thorn
Forest habitat. We saw well several outstanding species including Military
Macaw, Black-throated Magpie Jay, Yellow-winged Mexican Cacique, San Blas Jay,
Citroline Trogon, Yellow Grosbeak, Happy Wren, Sinaloa Wren, Golden-checked
Woodpecker, Rufous-backed Thrush and many more.
My guide is a native of PV and started birding 10 years ago and has been
leading trips for the past 5 years.
Since there are no National Parks in the area, he explored various backroads
until he found an area with the habitat he was looking for.
He then got to know the locals and showed them the birds and he has become
their friend and is allowed to bring strangers to the area in search of birds.
It was a great experience plus I felt good about supporting someone who is from
the area and is so enthusiastic about the birds in the area.
If you are planning to go to West Mexico and would like to hire a local guide,
feel free to email me and I can give you his contact info or you can check out
www.naturevallarta.com .
Bob Mead