[wisb] 15 Duck Species; Pectoral Sandpipers - Vernon Marsh, Waukesha County

  • From: "Smith, Jason" <jsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 17:24:23 -0500

Just returned from Vernon Marsh in Waukesha County, where from the Frog
Alley Road dike I observed a really nice variety of ducks including:
BLUE-WINGED TEAL
GREEN-WINGED TEAL
AMERICAN WIGEON
NORTHERN SHOVELER
NORTHERN PINTAIL (2)
GADWALL
MALLARD
BLACK DUCK
WOOD DUCK
RING-NECKED DUCK
COMMON MERGANSER
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER
COMMON GOLDENEYE
BUFFLEHEAD
SCAUP (I believe they were all Lesser's)

In addition to the ducks, I observed:

PECTORAL SANDPIPER (2)
COMMON GRACKLE
BALD EAGLE
SANDHILL CRANE
AMERICAN COOT
SONG SPARROW
probable SWAMP SPARROW (6-8 different weak flushers along the dike)
HERRING AND RB GULL

The impoundment south of Frog Alley road is about 75% ice free with some
large exposed mudflat areas, which I hope will remain as the shorebirds
return. On 4/2 I observed my first YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER of the season a
few miles north of Mukwongao. Juncos still present in my yard as well.

Take care -
Jason Smith, Town of Mukwonago