[wineeg] theta question

  • From: "Vernon, David" <d.vernon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wineeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wineeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:44:42 +0100

Hello,

can anybody help clarify an issue for me.

I have examined the eeg of a number of children with ADHD and quite a few
show a high (ie greater than 4) theta/beta ratio at CZ. This is when theta
is defined as 4-8hz and beta as 13-21hz, as per Monastra's procedure etc.

However, when i look at the theta at CZ what i 'think' i'm seeing is really
slow alpha. That is, its peaking around 7.2-7.5Hz, it attenuates when eyes
are open relative to closed, and there is only the one peak. Its not like
this is a theta peak and there is also an alpha peak. My concern is that
strictly speaking, if one were to adhere to the numbers, this patient
exhibits an extremely high theta/beta ratio and as such could benefit from
neurofeedback aimed at reducing theta and enhancing beta. However, i think
that what is really the case is that the patient shows a slightly slow alpha
peak, which could be a result of the age of the child, and may just speed up
with age. In addition, if one takes Klimesch's view and identifies the
'individual alpha frequency' +/- 2hz this peak would without doubt be within
the individual alpha range. As such the only neurofeedback that would seem
appropriate would be to focus on speeding up alpha.

I suppose my question is really this: A wide range of literature suggests
that some children with ADHD may exhibit an excess of theta and a deficit of
beta making neurofeedback a therapeutic option, however is this true Theta
or is it slow alpha? Either way what would you recommend?

As usual any comments etc would be gratefully received

david

David J Vernon PhD
Dept. of Cognitive Neuroscience & Behaviour
Imperial College London
St Dunstan's Road
London
W6 8RP