[windows_errors] [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98] Err.Msg:Running Low on Memory-After Adding More:

  • From: "albertj809" <albertj809@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:26:58 -0000

<Robert wrote this>

My system runs Windows 98 SE. I had 512MB of memory but increased to
1GB because of dropping memory prices.

But my system constantly displays messages saying that the system is
running out of memory or doesn't have enough memory to run certain
programs.
This never happened before i added more memory.

Anyone have an idea of what the problem is.
Robert in Indy.

Well Robert,Windows 98 SE, is not designed to support that much
memory,at least not in its default configuration.

At start-up, it reserves space for a memory cache called Vcache,
whose size is proportional to the amount of memory on the system.

This space is drawn from a memory area called the system arena,
which is used by Windows internally for other purposes.

When the amount of memory is much larger than 512MB, the Vcache can
consume all or most of the system arena, causing Windows to report
insufficient memory.

To fix this problem,Robert,is to put a lid on the amount of memory
allocated to the Vcache.

Open the file C:\Windows\System.ini in Notepad and find the section
header [vcache].

Look within this section for a line beginning MaxFileCache=.

If you don't see this line before the next section header [the next
line of text in square brackets], insert a MaxFileCache= line just
after the [vcache] header.

You need to set it to 512MB, but the values are expressed in
kilobytes, so the correct number is 512 multiplied by 1,024, or
524,288.

Edit the line so it reads MaxFilecache=524288, save the System.ini
file, and restart your computer.
Courtesy of http://www.pcmag.com/
Albert

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511