[windows2000] Re: exceed max number of allowed connections

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:51:41 -0800

>From: "Chris Ruggeri" <CHRIS.RUGGERI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I am using per server and each server has licensing per server...both
>having the same number of server licneses, which would adequately
>cover the concurrent connections, although i would expect that error
>if everyone was logged on @ once.....are you saying that i would have >to
>double my license count on each server becasue i have
>2?....ie.....have 50 users per server license...put a 2nd up and i
>need 100 on each ? i have each with per server 50 users....plenty to
>cover the number of users connected....

Ok, let me make this a little more clear.  With per server licensing, you
need three kinds of licenses, server OS licenses, Client Access Licenses,
and Workstation OS licenses.  If you have two servers you need two server OS
licenses.  If you have fifty workstations you need 50 workstation OS
licenses.  That part is all pretty simple.  Now, if you use per server
licensing, then here is where it gets interesting.  Each CAL (client access
license) is good for connecting one client machine to one server, so if you
had 50 users, one sitting at each workstation, and they were each connected
to both servers you would need 100 CALs.  (Assuming that you weren't logged
into one or both of the servers and connected to the other one, that take a
CAL also)  So for maximum usage you should probably have 102 cals, that will
let you connect anything to anything whenever you want.  You could probably
get away with 70 or 80 depending on your usage patterns.  I'm guessing that
you only have 50 which was full usage for one server, and that would be your
problem.  In my opinion, your best bet is to convert to per seat licensing,
which is far simplier, and nearly always cheaper except in wierd situations.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."