[windows2000] anyone know what mr2kserv service is?

  • From: "Chris Ruggeri" <CHRIS.RUGGERI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:41:47 -0600

Hi group,

I am putting up win2k webserver( 1st time), got it up and running last
night, was moving items via ftp to it for installation of what we need on it
and had to change security on a couple folders. I was unable to get into the
folder properties( nothing happened when i clicked on it). So i went into
task manager, tried stopping any processes i could, still no luck, but saw
that mr2kserv as a process. I went into services under admin tools, i saw
smtp and worldwide web publishing services were hung ( said starting on
both....and event viewer told me each service hung). I was able to change
the start up type to manual, reboot and then manually start these services.
I had also disabled mr2kserv until i found out what it is. The properties
now come up fine. I am currently installing sp3 and all the security
updates( probably should of done that first :) ....I searched technet,
microsoft, and found a couple topics on various search engines, one
referring to an attack on their server, a couple referring to either
macintosh print services or ftp services, and a couple that just had a list
of services running and this one in the list. Any information on this is
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris