[windows2000] Windows Messenger via a proxy?

  • From: Scott Ehrlich <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:51:19 -0400

We have a Windows Messenger message pop up on a machine, shown as being
sent from another host, but we don't believe anyone from the "originating"
host actually sent the message.

The popup offers diplomas.   We've only started receiving popups recently
and I've advised on how users can disable the messenger service to get rid
of the annoyance.  This particular popup did NOT appear to be a broadcast,
as our two NT 4 servers did not receive the message and they have messenger
service enabled.

Thus begs the question - is it possible to use/compromise a Windows host as
a proxy?  If so, it may mean the "originating" host is compromised.

Thanks for any leads.

Scott