[windows2000] Who's trying to get on my server?

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:11:54 -0500

Hi list,

I have a W2K server sitting out on the Internet, and I have logging
turned on and what not.  I see a whole bunch of failed logon attempts
today for users like Guest, Administrator, IUSR_[SERVERNAME], database,
root, etc..  Someone's trying to get onto my server, apparently.  The
event in the error log just says that the failed logon attempt came from
workstation \\whatever, which means nothing to me.  Is there any way
that I can log the IP addresses that these failed logon attempts are
coming from so that I can hack onto their computers and put viruses on
them?

Thanks a lot,

Ray at home