[windows2000] Re: VPN, Routing and internet access problem

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:17:50 -0400

Frankly Carson, what you are proposing is called Split Tunneling, and can be
a scary situation.

Let me give you an example:

*Assume things are configured as you say
*Also assume that you have a user that creates a VPN connectoid, and chooses
to save the password
*That user's machine is compromised remotely
*The hacker in control of that machine initiates a VPN connection, which
automatically logs into the corporate network
*The original internet connection (that the attacker came in on) is still
active, which allows him to use the remote machine as a "gateway" to your
corporate network.

These risks can be mitigated by securing the VPN client, but often, to
secure it properly requires more than a user is usually willing to succumb
to.  And to rely on them to secure it is laughable.

That aside, have you tried using the loopback address (127.0.0.1) as the
gateway in your route add statement?  If that works (which I haven't tried,
but would take 30 seconds to test) then your job is easy... add an 033
option to your DHCP scope, and your VPN clients will get the route.

Otherwise, I believe that you can get IP information and add routes with
VBS.

But I recommend finding another way around your problem... Why do the VPN
users need to access the internet directly, instead of through the corporate
network, when attached to the VPN?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.