[windows2000] Re: This is cool

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:24:10 -0400

nice :)

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Berry [mailto:compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 9:22 PM
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] This is cool

Ok, had to share this, pretty nifty:

Step 1: Create a batch script called ip_address.bat in your scripts folder

ipconfig > y:\admin\ipconfig.out
setx ip_address -f y:\admin\ipconfig.out -a 6,14 -m

I used y:\admin as the temp dir because our users have their My Documents
folders redirected to y:\ and we added the admin folder so we could store
things they need to follow them around, you can replace it with something
else if you do things differently.

Step 2: Edit the following registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{
208D2C60-3AEA-A2D7-08002B30309D}\<no name>

delete the key, then recreate as REG_EXPAND_SZ instead of REG_SZ
change the value from My Network Places to
%IP_ADDRESS% My Network Places

Step 3: Add ip_address.bat to your list of logon scripts

If you deploy this domain wide, you can have any user give you their IP
address nearly without effort by telling them to look at their My Network
Places icon.

NOTE: Editing the registry is dangerous, if you make a mistake and didn't
make a backup first, don't come crying to me as I will merely heap scorn
upon you. *grin*

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"We are successful when our bosses wonder what it is we do all day."  -- Tim
Mullen

Help protect your PC.  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.