[windows2000] Re: Terminal Server Sounding Board

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:25:02 -0500

Backup domain controller?  You could use Virtual server and make one on the
other server.

On 3/7/07, Sullivan, Glenn <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hope y'all don't mind, but I'm going to use you for a sounding board
for a minute...

I am setting up (actually almost done) a simple environment for our
subsidiary company... As of today, they have the most f'ed up network I
have ever seen, with 20 or so PC's, all with PUBLIC IP ADDRESSES
(yikes), no HW firewall, no server, no nothing.  They don't even use the
network for anything but internet access, using sneakernet and jazz
disks to share files.  In addition, each PC also has another nic
attached to a completely separate network that they only use to telnet
to their text based server MRP apps.

What a mess.

So, I'm re-doing everything, and I want to make sure I have all my ducks
in a row before I drive the 2+ hours to get there only to find out I
forgot something.

Here's what I've got:

* SBS 2003, serving as DC, WSUS Server, Mail server, and files.
       * Trend CSM suite for multivector Virus
       * Startup script set up to load non-native printer drivers and
load VNC
       * Logon script set to:
               * connect network printers by group
               * connect shares by group
               * Update Terminal Server Connect menu on Thin Clients
(custom app)
       * RIS Installed, with base Win2K image and custom "Thin Client"
image
       * TS License Server
       * Deploy Office 2007 pro plus via group policy
       * Roaming Profile share
       * TS Home Drive share
       * ASSP for Spam protection
* W2K3 server for Terminal Services
       * Roaming Profiles to share on File Server
* Hardware firewall for the entire network.

Can anyone see anything glaring that I've missed?

Thanks for listening...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

Jim Kenzig