[windows2000] Secure FTP

  • From: Andrew Mills <amills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:21:45 -0400

Hello Group:

We are running a Windows2000 system at work (Server, and Pro on all
workstations).  We are attempting to setup an FTP service, but have very
sensitive information that will be transmitted and need to make sure that
information is secured.   Traditional FTP does not use any form of
encryption, so we are wondering what can be done to ensure our information
is secured when transmitting the files.  We have started to research WebDAV,
but I am not really sure what they are, and how you go about using them, and
if there are any restrictions or disadvantages to using them instead of FTP.
From our reading, it appears we need Windows 2003 to set up this service.

If anyone would be able to help, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andy Mills

The contents of this transmission and any files transmitted with it are private
and confidential, and intended solely for the use of the person or entity to
whom they are addressed.  Please inform the sender if you have received this
transmission in error.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
copy, use, rely on or distribute the contents of this transmission.  Any
unauthorized disclosure of information contained in this transmission,
including unauthorized disclosure by the intended recipient, is strictly
prohibited.  The information in this transmission may constitute "protected
health information" under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act of 1996.  Unauthorized use or disclosure of protected health information by
the intended recipient is prohibited, and will cause the recipient to violate
contractual confidentiality obligations to the PCI Insurance, Inc.