[windows2000] Re: Second keyboard?

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:38:24 -0500

I think the keyboards would both be set.  So it wouldnt work.  This is a
perfect use for virtualization. Just make a virtual copy of your current PC
OS/drive, get the free convert program from VMWARE.com and VMWare Player.
Use the convert utility to create a virtual copy of your hardisk (vmdk) and
install the vmware player, run the vmdk file that convert creates and you
have an exact copy of your PC.  You'll have to give it a license key
though.  (This CAN be done over a network to a file server drive and stored
there and run from there if you have the bandwidth also. )  Now set the
keyboard on the virtual machine to what you want.  When you need the extra
characters just run it under the vm.  You can easily copy files back and
forth between the physical PC and the virtual one usine virtual nics.

Of course you can do this with MS Virtual PC also which is free but it takes
several more steps.  You still need the convert program from VMWARE, you
convert the physical PC to a VMDK and then you have to download a free
program to convert the VMDK to a VHD and run up the VHD file in Virtual PC.
Lots more time and lots more steps. You will of course need the space on
your hard disk for the vmdk file and a 30 gig PC is going to be a 30 gig
vmdk file. It will take about 4-6 hours to convert your PC from physical to
virtual.

I just upgraded to a new PC with Windows Vista and made a virtual copy of my
old system.  I have an exact replica (in a 30 gig file) of my old PC I can
run up anytime... all for free. (aside from the XP license key which I had
many of laying around).

JK

--
Jim Kenzig