[windows2000] Re: SBS NT 4.0 to SBS W2k3 Server Migration

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:51:46 +1200

Disclaimer: I've done this from SBS4.5 to SBS2000 - I haven't actually
tried it with SBS2003.

Even though there is some manual work doing an upgrade to a new box
this way, everything gets moved over and you don't have to touch the
workstations and the users will never know that the server was
replaced.

1. Build your new server as NT4, installing it as a BDC into your
current NT4 domain.
2. Disconnect the new server from the network.
3. On the new server, run server manager and delete the original PDC.
Then promote the new box to PDC. Then change the name of the new box
to match the old box.
4. Run the SBS setup and upgrade the new box and install Exchange.
5. Backup data from the old server and restore it to the new server
(obviously useful to have compatible tape drives). Manually recreate
shares and set security.
6. Use the new Exmerge utility to dump and restore mailboxes (again,
compatible tape drives are extremely convenient here).
7. Re-create printer queues identical to the old server.

Although most people, including myself, cringe at running an upgraded
server in production, I've found that an upgrade of a clean install of
NT4 has not caused me any grief so far.

hth

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:13:22 -0400 (EDT),
thethin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <thethin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>