[windows2000] Re: Replacing DC with another DC

  • From: "Joanne Determann" <joanne.determann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:00:46 -0500

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325473/

I used:

netsh dhcp dump >C:\dhcp.txt

Recreatse the scope on the new server. Then:

netsh exec c:\dhcp.txt

MS Print Migrator is great.  I have a dns entry for the print server ,
so when I change servers I merely change the name in dns. It took while
for users to get mapped correctly but it's great. (Also  dns entry for
home dirs and profiles paths. I use dfs for data)

Joanne.

  _____

        From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Herchenbach, Jim
        Posted At: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:30 AM
        Posted To: Windows 2000
        Conversation: Replacing DC with another DC
        Subject: [windows2000] Replacing DC with another DC

        We are a small school with only one server.  I just want to make
sure I do this correctly.  I'm replacing my DC with a new machine.

        1) Configure new server

        2) join domain and promote to a DC

        3) Demote old DC

        Can I test the new DC by just shutting down the old DC prior to
demoting?  I would hate to lose all the student login information.

        Can I use robocopy.exe to move all the folders with permissions
to the new box?

        Is there a way to move my DHCP settings?

        Is there a way to move print server printers?

        Any help would be appreciated.

        jim

  _____

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2OD
gxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a/f
arechase.yahoo.com/>