[windows2000] Re: Remote Win98 logging onto W2K AD Server via vpn

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:17:33 -0700

thethin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

We have a linux vpn running between the host and remote sites.  I can ping
and even net view shares on the server, but my workstations running
Win98 SE can't find the domain when we try to authenticate.  Any ideas
what we may be missing?

The Server is running WINS and DNS.  The linux
server on the remote side is providing DNS for it's location and is
pushing the WINS and DNS settings for the Server.  The linux servers on
each side is running Redhat 7.3 and cipe VPN using IPTables.

Can't remember for sure, but doesn't Win98 broadcast info like that? If so it wouldn't work over that sort of link. We use a linux vpn here also (IPCOP) and there are a few gotcha's involved.

chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates & Coast Business Service

"This message written on our state-of-the-art beowulf cluster of nitrogen cooled, overclocked C64's"