[windows2000] Re virus infected mail

  • From: "Ibrahim, Mustafa" <Mustafa.Ibrahim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:06:32 -0400

Hi all,

I am a little puzzled here. I am hoping someone out there maybe experiencing
similar issues with unrecognised mail bouncing back. Basically, I have a user
here that keeps getting mail delivery notification from people she doesn't know
about how they'd received a message from this user and the message was blocked
due to virus infection or virus infected attachment.

This user is using an XP box. She uses just one machine. She claims she doesn't
have a system at home. I have checked the user's PC, disabled system restore
and run Symantec antivirus scan with latest definition files, run Netsky
removal utility, checked running processes for any dodgy unidentified process
and I have found nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Yet the user just received a
message back from some external person saying they'd received a message from
this user which was infected with a virus.

Any ideas. We are using 2 different Antivirus products here plus Spam filtering
gateway and exchange specific antivirus. Any thoughts much appreciated. I am
now thinking about monitoring traffic on that machine over a couple days to see
if anything shows up there.

Thanks very much in advance.