[windows2000] Re: Permissions Wizard in IIS 5

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:16:48 -0400

It's used to set Web permissions on a directory or virtual directory.
Like, if you want there to be a directory in your site that people
cannot access without a Windows account on your server (or in your
server's domain), you'd use the "secure web server" option.  This is the
same as disabling anonymous access on the directory's permissions in the
IIS snap-in.

Also, if you have an exe file in the directory that you want to actually
run on the server when someone clicks on it, as opposed to the user
being prompted to download it, you set execute permissions on the
directory so the program will run on the server.

And then there's directory browsing if you want people to just see a
list of files in the directory instead of seeing a web page.

If you're familiar with Unix and stuff, this is equivalent to using
chmod to change permissions on a directory.

Ray at home