[windows2000] OT: Programming Questions

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:25:14 -0400

Way OT:

We fight a constant battle with our spare parts lists... Because there
are so many different requirements, we end up creating the same parts
list in about 5 different formats.  One for the web, one for emailing,
one for printing to include with the packaging, etc...

These are essentially the same exact document, but with the included
pictures at different resolutions.

So I took the data involved, dropped it into some normalized tables, and
made a quick asp.net page to pull up a given product's parts list, and
if applicable, allow the ordering of that product from our store.

Now what I want to do is create a higher resolution format "on the fly"
preferably in some sort of web app, so that our customer service reps
can print/fax (print-to-fax), our print shop can "print on demand" for
packaging, and, ideally, the user can print a higher-res version of from
the web page.

Anyone have any suggestions?  How about a "create PDF on demand" type
thing to run on a web server?

Currently this is our ISP's web server, so anything that we add to it
will have to be checked out pretty thoroughly, so I'm trying to get a
jump on it.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.