[windows2000] Re: No more Eudora - enough's enough

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:20:12 +0100

Win some, loose some... Can't be worse than Eudora (the users) and PMMail (me).
Although I'd prefer a policies controllable non-ms mailer.

> 2) Everything is stored in a PST file which tends to get
> corrupted for
> silly reasons

I didn't learn this until yesterday... How do you cope with problems like this,
should the pst-file get corrupted??

> 3) It has lots of security holes

Well, this is a sore toe. 8-) Whoever you ask they have an opinion of their
own. My opinion is the one in the same track as that qute "keep your friends
near and your enemies closer". With OL I know more or less what to expect. I
don't have that luxury with say Thunderbird/Mozilla/Whatever. The main rule of
the game over here, is to lock down things, so that users won't do anything
"unproductive", meaning "stupid" and also to keep things stable. When our Ph
D-students finish and head their way towards the industry chances are pretty
high that they'll get into a OL-environment. This last is maybe not principal,
but I've seen it helps to easy the transfer. Some phd-students have also asked
to transfer old mail to their new work. Using a well-known mailer makes this
easier as there is only one mail-file. The good comes with the bad, one just
has to learn to live with it. Even if that imples using a
functiionally-challenged mailer (OL). I've used PMMail since '96 and I've had a
hard time making the transition. Not to say tranferring the actual old mail
from PMM. But still, this was something I knew I had to do at some point. I
never managed to get used to Eudora (that mailer is just plain weird...), with
hindsight and all that's just as well.

To make a long rant short, we all have different priorities. Even our former
unix-admin's using OL now, and that's saying something. 8-) Some of the senior
staff even spontaneously cheered me when I told them we're migrating to OL,
so...

Anyway, I'm still learning OL. There are a few features that I still haven't
found, if they're there at all. The future will tell I guess.