[windows2000] NTFS Permissions Question

  • From: "Stephen Taylor (Mitel Admin)" <STaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:47:16 -0000

Hi There

I have a query regarding ntfs permissions.

On one of our file servers we have the following:

folder1 shared out and authenticated user has full control on the share.
folder1 security permissions domain admins full control, group1 read only, and
group2 read only.

Inside folder1 there is folder2, which has security permissions domain admins
full control, group1 modify and group 2 read, write and execute but no delete.

Members of domain admins and group1 function as expected but members of group 2
don't.
The members of group2 can copy files into, update files which already exist in
the folder2.
They can execute a file - new - word document, rename it, open it, add to it
and save it.
But when they open say word, create a document and the try to save it to
folder2 they get an error saying "folder2 is marked as read only" and prevents
users from saving to folder2.

Am I missing something here, I thought users would be able to write a document
and save to folder2 since they have write permissions.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why?

Thanks in advance

Stephen