[windows2000] Mystery Permissions

  • From: "White, Collin" <cwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:49:30 -0500

Hello, I am running into a strange permissions problem.  I am pointing my
Terminal Server Users Profile path towards a network share on a Windows 2000
server (No AD).  When I set it up the first time, I found that as the users
logged in, their folder was created, it did not give permission for Admins,
I fixed this through Group Policy to allow Admins to have permission by
default.  So far, so good.  I decided then to point the profile path to
another server because the other path was on a different subnet and I wanted
everything on the same subnet.  I did not copy or move the folders, I simply
changed everyone's Terminal Server Profile path to
\\newserver\profiles%username% <file:///\\newserver\profiles%25username%25>
and let all the folders recreate themselves.  This worked great, it gave the
administrators, System, and the User access to their folder.  Here is where
the problem starts, on the original server, I had reset permissions on all
the folders to give Domain Admins, and the TSUSER group Full Control over
the folders on the share (this is before I knew about giving the
administrators control by default through group policy)  Now, on the new
server, where these folders have been freshly created as the user logs in,
sometimes the folders security permissions revert back to what they were on
the original server.  How do these permissions change?  And how would they
remember what the permissions are from the old server?  Like I said, I did
not move or copy these folders, they are all freshly created?  Are these
permissions remembered by Group membership or the users SID?  I am confused
as to how my permissions can change like that.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Collin White