[windows2000] Moving from NT4 Domain to Win2K AD

  • From: "Joe Mulhall" <Joe.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:26:54 +0000

Hi,

I'm shortly upgrading an NT4 PDC to Win2k which I am completely fine with. =
 The issue is the existing NT4 Member servers which I am a little unclear =
on:

Basically, the DNS suffix used here is not related to the current domain =
name e.g. NT4 Domain=3D abc, DNS Domain=3D xyz.co.uk
(DNS is run on NetWare and I'm clear on the problems there).

So, when I upgrade the server and select the new tree to be xyz.co.uk to =
comply with existing DNS how on earth are the existing NT4 member servers =
going to get a grip on the change? They will be trying to authenticate =
with Domain abc instead of the new xyz.co.uk. (Using lmhosts files).

Of course I can resolve this by re-adding them all to the new AD Domain, =
but I want to avoid the period of confusion/rebooting whilst this happens.

Regards,

Joe Mulhall
MCSE, MCP+I, CCSA

Network Engineer