[windows2000] Re: MX records question

  • From: "Jon Spriggs" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:27:06 +0000

If I remember rightly, MX records have a priority, so it'll try priority 1
server first (1.2.3.4), then if it can't reach that, it'll try priority 2 (
5.6.7.8) and so on. I think the highest priority is 100, but different
BIND/DNS servers will have more or less available records, depending on how
complex they expect their users to be!

It's usually used as follows:

Priority 1) Local Office SMTP Server
Priority 2) Main Branch SMTP Store-and-forward
Priority 3) ISP SMTP Store-and-forward

This then means that the default is for it to arrive at your branch office.
If for some reason, the downstream mail service can't see your office (you
have no power, your mail server coughs or there's just too many connections
for your local server to cope with), then it'll try your main branch server.
If that's down (same reasons), it'll try the ISP.

Rgds,

Jon

--
Jon Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified