[windows2000] Re: MAC-address list program

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:49:07 +0200

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:16:10 -0400, Sullivan, Glenn wrote:

>Are you trying to pre-stage the RIS?  I'm just curious as to the need...

I do. But this time it failed utterly. I'm trying to RIS a Dell
Optiplex GX110 with an integrated 3com 3c905, and I've tried
setting the GUID when creating the computer account by

1) 20 0's + MAC address.
2) The number combo stating it's the GUID when PXE-booting the
machine.
3) Different parts of the long GUID from 2).

And none of them work! I've checked the DHCP server too, and this
one seems to work fine...

Are Dell notorious for being hard-RISable???

>I always just let RIS create the computer account in the default
>container, and then move it manually some time during the RIS
>process, so that the first boot-up is in the
>right OU, with the right GPO's

Everytime I do this, the DHCP gets and serves requests from any
rogue dhcp-client out there. I don't like that, as I only have a
small dhcp-scope for RISing purposes. We otherwise use static IPs.

>I can't think of an "easy" way to universally do this, since any floppy
>would need NDIS drivers for whatever card happened to be in the
>machine...
>
>Wait... I know.  RBFG.  The Remote installation Floppy Generator.  It
>displays the mac during the discover process, I think.
>
>\\<RIS Server>\REMINST\Admin\i386\rbfg.exe

>Does anybody know of a small mac address listing applet can be run from
>a floppy?
>
>I frequently get computers to RIS and no MAC listed anywhere... So I
>figured there must be some little applet somewhere, that will fit on a
>floppy and that one can use to boot from and get that pesky MAC address.

This is what I used initially. No go. Then I tried Jims getmac
util, to see that the MAC I used is actually the Mac and not
something else. Then I also tried a LRP (Linux Router Project)
"Detective Floppy" and I got the same result as above.

There's something fishy here...

BW,

Sorin