[windows2000] Link Pick: Microsoft Activesync Troubleshooting guide

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

How many aggravating hours have you taken to get your Windows Mobile device
synced up to your PC and watched and listened to the connection wizard go boop,
boop, boop, and never connect? What is going on here?

  Well I'll tell you.  ActiveSync uses TCP/IP ports for connection.  And most
new Antivirus products are coming with a built in firewall, not to mention the
good old Windows XP Firewall (which already knows about these ports, yay).
  Turns out that the ActiveSync processes use the following ports which need to
be open in your firewall application:

  Inbound
990
  999
  5678
  5721
  26675

  Outbound
5679

  If these ports are not open.. No tickie, no workie, no sync.

  Here is a link from Microsoft page on troubleshooting your ActiveSync 4.x
connectivity and my pick for the week:

  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

  I found this out when we upgraded our network to the new version of Trend
Officescan which snuck in it's own firewall service and our directors telephone
all of sudden stopped syncing.  After several maddening hours of reinstalling
activesync, getting a new phone and cradle and still not working, I had to
count back the hours and figure out exactly what changed. Didn't figure for
trend to throw that curve at us but you live, you learn.

Jim Kenzig
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services
  Provision Networks VIP
CEO The Kenzig Group