[windows2000] Re: Laptop recommendations

  • From: "Greg Reese" <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:14:31 -0600

Spend the extra $ and get her a Macbook

beyond that, I have had good experiences with Toshiba and also Acer.

I like what see from Lenovo but have never used one long term

On 3/7/07, Ray Costanzo <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi list,

My wife's birthday's coming up, and I'm going to get her a laptop.
Hopefully she's not a member of this lst.  :]  I'd like to keep it under
$1000.  She uses her current laptop almost exclusively just as a terminal to
remote desktop to her main desktop computer.  But, I believe that if she had
a decent laptop (as opposed to a piece of crap Compaq with a 900Mhz Duron),
she may run it as her primary computer.  Requirements/uses are as follows:

·         Must have more than 2 USB ports

·         Built-in CompactFlash card reader would be a bonus

·         Most used apps are Outlook 2007, Dreamweaver, Photoshop

·         Built-in wireless connectivity is a must

·         Widescreen is probably the way to go for Photoshop usage

·         Mimimum of 1GB of RAM.  Ideally, it'd be one single chip with an
empty slot available.

·         DVD burner would be a bonus, but not a requirement

·         Must not be a Sony

·         Prefer a Pentium (not Celeron) or Athlon (not Duron) processor
or whatever they're called these days

Things that she would NOT care about:

·         Nonsense for gaming – she doesn't play games

·         Bluetooth – don't' care

·         Remote controls – don't care.  We watch TV on TVs.

I keep coming back to the Toshiba Satellite
P105-S6147<http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=360053>.
Odd, though, because I never would have thought of Toshiba, but I just keep
hearing good things about them.  I don't think I've owned a Toshiba product
since I had a Toshiba walkman as a teenager.

Any thoughts, experiences, comparable recommendations, discount codes,
leads on stolen laptops with 4GB of RAM, donations, or suggestions
appreciated very much.

Ray at home