[windows2000] Re: Imaging RAID 5

  • From: "Robert K Coffman Jr - Info From Data Corporation" <bcoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:46:44 -0500

Thanks Tony (and Angus) for responding.

This process worked, up to a point (and it seems that decisions I made
affected the outcome.)

The array rebuilt in no time, perhaps 10 minutes per disk.  The old disks
were 9GB.

When done, I attempted to extend the logical volume.  The ACU warned me not
to do this with W2k.  I'm guessing that had something to do with basic vs
dynamic disks, but not sure.

I thought about expanding the array, but being unfamiliar with this I
thought I would try creating a new logical volume first.  Seemed like a
reversible action, but apparently is not!

I couldn't expand either partition to the new space when I was done, because
they were both created on a basic disk.  I tried upgrading to dynamic disks,
mirroring the partition I wanted to extend, and then removing the original
partition from the mirror.  When I tried to extend that partition, I got the
same message about the volume being originally created on basic disk.

It appears as though I need to create a new partition, and move everything
from the old one over, including shares, permissions, etc.  Anyone disagree
with that?  Is there an easy way to do that and minimize the effort?  I
should mention that the original partition houses an Exchange data store.

Thanks again -

- Bob Coffman