[windows2000] I'm not American

  • From: Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:43:58 -0000

I have nothing against America or Americans. Probably as fine a continent /
population as you could ever hope to meet but why are Windows setup programs
so desperate to turn me into one? Take Windows 2003 for example. I have to
tell the regional settings page I'm not American in FIVE different places,
and even then it refuses to remove the American keyboard layout until the
next boot. Not only that but after all that clicking it STILL can't work out
which timezone I'm in and assumes I'm American. Again!

Would it really be so hard to ask me which country I'm in and set the
defaults accordingly? I wouldn't mind changing them if I told it I was
British but happened to want an Afghan keyboard layout but I'm sure that
would be the exception, not the rule.

Right. Rant over. I'm off to do another one.