[windows2000] Re: How much heat can switches, FAX machines and PCswithstand?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:11:06 -0800

>From: Jim Kenzig <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [windows2000] Re: How much heat can switches, FAX machines >and
>PCs withstand?
>I wouldn't worry about it unless the temperature in the room gets above
>95-100 degrees fahrenheit with the door closed which is not likely >unless
>you live in a hot climate and do not own air conditioning.

The theoretical operating temperature for most electronics is about
30F-125F, however whenever possible components should be kept between
68F-72F for optimum use.  The greatest single cause of failure for
electronic components is thermal shock, and a stable temperature is much
more important than an optimal one.  Just a minor point, but if there are
fax machines in there, how do you plan to keep it locked?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."