[windows2000] Group policy, Software installation

  • From: "Carson Tu" <ctu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:29:16 -0400

Hi, folks:

I have a question regarding software installation via group policy.

I setup a new package setting in a domain policy, which suppose to =
assign Visio 2002 to some computers (In computer configuration). I left =
the default security permission of this package over night, (didn't =
assign to any computer yet). But in the next day morning, I was reported =
that a few laptops which boot in the morning had Visio installed. I am =
scared, the thought it could because some people had permission by user =
base. So I try to remove permission for Enterprise admins, then domain =
admin. It still doesn't fix the problem. Then I found there is =
"Authenticated users" has permission, so I remove it. (Later, I figured =
out "Authenticated users" is the only one I should remove.) You know =
what, things becoming worse. The Visio package disappear after I remove =
the last permission set. You know, acutually I should I do "all task | =
Remove" to uninstall the existing installation. But now I cannot do =
that, because the visio package is not showing up any more. The bad =
thing is that, those client still had Visio installed unexpectedly. I =
cannot even uninstall it manually, because it will automatically be =
installed back when reboot.

Does any of you know how to get that disappeared setting back. Or =
completedly remove it?

BTW, do you know how to install Visio 2000 via group policy? It doesn't =
have .msi file.=20
For Visio 2002 pro, I can do it by "setup /a install.msi". But the =
problem for 2002 is that it need activated. How can I activate so many =
copy by one key?

Thanks.

Carson