[windows2000] Re: Group Policy - Can you copy to another computer

  • From: "mustafa" <mustafa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:36:29 -0000

This is from John Savill's FAQ site:

Q. How can I copy a GPO from one domain to another?

      A. Windows 2000 stores information about a Group Policy Object (GPO)
in Active Directory (AD) and as part of the SYSVOL structure that replicates
among all domain controllers (DCs) within a domain. The AD GPO information
consists of the GPO's name and globally unique identifier (GUID). To
determine a GPO's GUID, you must load the GPO in Group Policy Editor (GPE)
and select Properties from the root context menu. Alternatively, you can
open a container that has the GPO applied to it, select the GPO, and click
Properties. Whichever method you use, the 'Unique name' under the Summary
section of the General tab will display the GUID.

      Win2K stores the actual GPO data in
%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\\Policies\{}. To copy a GPO, perform the
following steps:

        1.. Determine the GUID of the GPO that you want to copy.
        2.. Create a new GPO in the target domain.
        3.. Determine the new GPO's GUID.
        4.. Navigate to the new GPO's storage area
(%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\\Policies\{}), and delete the contents of that
folder.
        5.. Copy the contents of the GPO folder from the original domain
into the new GPO location.

      For example, imagine I have an original GPO named Test in the
savilltech.com domain and a GUID of 5AA140D1-397A-4B5C-B4DC-DF60FF731FC0. To
copy this GPO to a new GPO named Sales in the ntfaq.com domain, I would
perform the following steps:

        1.. Create a new GPO named Sales in the ntfaq.com domain.
        2.. Determine the new GPO's GUID (e.g.,
600140D1-397A-4B5C-B4DC-DF60FF73XXXX).
        3.. Navigate to the new GPO's storage area
(%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\ntfaq.com\Policies\{600140D1-397A-4B5C-B4DC-DF60
FF73XXXX}), and delete the contents of that folder.
        4.. Copy the contents of
%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\savilltech.com\Policies\{5AA140D1-397A-4B5C-B4DC-
DF60FF731FC0} to
%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\ntfaq.com\Policies\{600140D1-397A-4B5C-B4DC-DF60F
F73XXXX}.

      Be aware that you won't have both folders on one machine; instead,
you'll be copying files between DCs.