[windows2000] Re: Glenn's Software Pick of the Week: ASSP (Anti-S pam SMTP Proxy)

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:27:15 -0500

On a gateway...

Inbound, the mail goes like this:

Internet -> ASSP -> (which proxies the connection to) -> Exchange -> User

Outbound, it goes like this:

User -> Exchange Server -> ASSP -> IIS SMTP Engine.

Before anyone comments on the security of using IIS's SMTP engine (which was
my first thought...), Exchange 2000 and higher all use IIS's SMTP engine as
their own.  So it is no more or less secure than the SMTP engine that would
be used directly.

Hope this helps,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.