[windows2000] Re: Finding Access 97 databases

  • From: "Ray at work" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:30:02 -0500

Hi Cristoph,

You can use DAO to determine the Access version.  3.0 = 97.  4.0 = 2000.  I
~believe~ that 2002 and 2003 will also be returned as 4.0, as they all use
the same file format.  Try this script.  It successfully generated a CSV
file for me.  Just change the values of PATH_ROOT and LOG_FILE to what
directory you want to search in and what file path the the results should be
written to, respectively.  If you use a drive letter as your PATH_ROOT,
include the \ as I have done here.

Option Explicit

Const PATH_ROOT = "C:\"
Const LOG_FILE = "C:\AccessVersions.csv"

Dim oFSO, oLogFile

Call Main()

Sub Main()
        Set oLogFile = oFSO.OpenTextFile(LOG_FILE, 8, True)
        Call MDBSearch(PATH_ROOT)
        oLogFile.Close : Set oLogFile = Nothing
        Set oFSO = Nothing
        WScript.Echo "Finished"
End Sub

Sub MDBSearch(Pathroot)
        Dim oDir, oSubdir, oFile
        Set oDir = oFSO.GetFolder(Pathroot)
        For Each oSubdir in oDir.SubFolders
                Call MDBSearch(oSubdir.Path)
        Next
        For Each oFile in oDir.Files
                If LCase(oFSO.GetExtensionName(oFile.Path)) = "mdb" Then
Call LogIt(oFile.Path, AccessVersion(oFile.Path))
        Next
End Sub

Sub Logit(Filepath, Version)
        oLogFile.WriteLine(Filepath & "," & Version)
End Sub

Function AccessVersion(Filepath)
        Dim oDAO, oDB
        Set oDAO = CreateObject("DAO.DBEngine.36")
        Set oDB = oDAO.OpenDatabase(Filepath)
        AccessVersion = oDB.Version
        oDB.Close
        Set oDB = Nothing