[windows2000] Re: File Permissions

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:21:45 -0500

Give them read access to the folder...

Make the file permissions the standard "read" permissions of Read, Read
and Execute, and List Folder Contents.

Do not deny them anything...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Leach
Posted At: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:14 PM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] File Permissions
Subject: [windows2000] File Permissions

I am still learning about file permissions so please bear with me for
the basic question.

I have a folder on the server that users have access to.  The only
things I want them to be able to do are to read and copy to and from the
folder.  No renaming folders or files, creating folders or deleting
folders.

On a test share I was able to deny deleting files and folders deny
creating new folders and deny moving files or folders but they are still
able to rename files and folders.

I shared the folder, set the share permissions to full control for
everyone and then set the NTFS permissions for users to get what I have
described above.

What is the best practice for permissions for my scenario?

Thanks for the help

Ron